Alternate Route Via Moldova To Be Used For Indian Evacuation: MEA Advisory
Last updated on March 2nd, 2022 at 10:15 am
Since the first advisory has been issued from the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), 8000 children have been brought back home alive. According to latest reports from the MEA, it is best those who wish to be evacuated need to move through the Moldova as the new found route for safety.
The new advisory suggests to get out of Ukraine via foot and come towards Hungary to explore the new route that opens through Moldova, confirmsa formal statement by External affairs ministry spokesperson Arindam Bagchi.
It has further been advised not to move to locations of evacuation on their own and do take help and support of concerned authorities by moving to western parts of the country and seeking shelter in nearby towns.
Envoys are already on their way to the concerned smaller towns around Ukraine. They will be overseeing evacuation process of Indians. A total 1,396 students had reached India so far in six evacuation flights, added Bagchi.
Operation Ganga has already been launched with flights scheduled in the next 24 hours. Two from Bucharest to Mumbai and Delhi, and one from Budapest to Delhi were scheduled and more will be added as and when required. Bagchi said, “Evacuation efforts are on. Situation on the ground continues to be complex and fluid, some of them quite concerning, but we’ve been able to accelerate our evacuation process. About 8,000 Indian nationals have left Ukraine since we issued advisory, not since conflict began.”
After having spoken to counterparts in Poland and other neighbouring countries, Indian stranded are now getting access to food supplies which had completely stopped in Ukraine. Poland has already lifted visa restrictions over Indian students who have escaped from Ukraine and has already arranged flights for their safe return.
Over the next 3 days, more will be evacuated through 26 different flights. Apart from Romania and Hungary, airports of Poland and Slovak Republic will also be used.
“We had an estimated 20,000 Indian students in Ukraine at the time that we issued our first advisory. From that number approximately 12,000 have since left Ukraine, which is 60% of the total number of our citizens in Ukraine”, Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla said. “Of the remaining 40%, roughly half remain in conflict zone in Kharkiv, Sumy area and the other half have either reached the western borders of Ukraine or are heading towards the western part of Ukraine – they are generally out of conflict area,” Shringla further added.