38 Accused Sentenced To Death In 2008 Ahmedabad Blasts Case
Ahmedabad – In a major decision, a special court awarded death sentence to 38 out of 49 convicts in the 2008 Ahmedabad serial bomb blasts case today. The other convicts have been sentenced to life imprisonment until death.
Reportedly, this is the first time in India where so many accused have been sentenced to death in a single case. All the accused were digitally present from different jails of India. The case will now go up to the Gujarat High Court. The death sentences will be confirmed in the Gujarat High Court.
According to India Today, the special court judge AR Patel had last week convicted 49 people and acquitted 28 others in the case.
The terror attack that took place on July 26, 2008, in the city of Gujarat, killed 56 people. Reportedly, around 20 bomb blasts had taken place across Ahmedabad within 70 minutes in 2008. More than 200 people were injured because of the bomb blasts.
Reportedly, days after the serial blasts in Ahmedabad, the police had recovered more bombs from different parts of Surat. Subsequently, 20 FIRs were registered in Ahmedabad and 15 in Surat.
The accused were convicted under various sections of the Indian Penal Code including the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, Explosive Substances Act, and Damage to Public Property Act. The other Sections involved Sections 302 (murder), 307 (murder attempt), 124 (a) (sedition) and Section 16(1)(a)(b) of the UAPA about terrorist acts.
The court had ended the trial against 77 accused in the more than 13-year-old case in September last year. Of the 78 accused put on trial, one had turned an approver.
The Gujarat Police said that the terror attack was carried out by people associated with Indian Mujahideen (IM), a faction of the radicals of the banned Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI). The police further said that the serial blasts in Gujarat were an act of revenge for the 2002 post-Godhra riots.