Three more Tesla models get approval in India, Total of seven models to be launched
India -The world’s most popular electric vehicle maker, Tesla founded by Elon Musk, has managed to successfully get approval for launching three more models in India. The approval has been secured from India’s vehicle testing and certification agencies. The information by Central government-controlled Vahan Sewa, the Indian subsidiary of Tesla Inc – Tesla India Motors and Energy – has received a homologation certificate for three more models in India. This has brought the total to seven models that will launch in India post-approval.
What is homologation certificate?
A homologation certificate, when given to a vehicle, certifies that it has met all the specified criteria, thereby making it worthy to launch on road. The models of Tesla who have cleared the approval are still not clear upon. However, Model 3 and Model Y of Tesla have frequently been spotted on roads for testing among other models, hinting their names to be amongst the ones to be launched in India.
The Indian subsidiary of Tesla was integrated in January 2021. But any official public statement hasn’t been initiated by the global conglomerate about the launch of its electric cars in India commercially. The company’s Indian center, which is located in Bengaluru, has been aggressively lobbying with the government of India to lower the import duty.
Under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his vision of bringing India to the most sought-after business center internationally, the government has been pushing for local manufacturing of electric vehicles. This is to make India a manufacturer of electric vehicles and compete with rival China. Currently, China holds more than 70 percent global market of electric workers manufacturing.
Import duty on electric vehicles in India is 100 percent if the CIF (cost insurance and freight) value is more than $40,000 and 60 percent if the CIF value is less than $40,000. Model Y and Model 3 of Tesla are priced in $38,700-41,200 range. Both models held 90 percent of Tesla’s volumes in 2020. The remaining 10 percent share came from Model S and Model X, that are in price range of $81,200-91,200.