BCCI secretary Jay Shah says it was a joint decision with ECB to cancel 5th test
The fifth test between India and England has been suspended due to Covid-19 concerns confirmed by the BCCI on Friday. Following this, the secretary of the cricketing body has also confirmed the decision, saying that it was a joint call taken along with the England Cricket Board.
They said that the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) along with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) have conducted several rounds of meetings regarding how things will go further and concluded that it is best to cancel the test match.
As per reports, the match has been called-off after there was Covid-19 positive case in the team and that essentially led the officials to finalising the decision to cancel the Old Trafford match.
The press release made public by the BCCI also stated that given the solid relations between the two cricket boards, the BCCI has also offered rescheduling the test to ECB and the two sides will work towards finding a window to conduct the remaining test between India and England.
The English side had already taken to twitter to announce the cancelation of the match and shortly the Indian side also confirmed the news. The concerns grew when the numbers of Covid-19 cases were increasing inside the camp and the Indian team could not risk to field themselves in such a situation and hence, that changed everything.
The ECB has also apologized to the fans and the partners for not being able to deliver what they had promised adding that they are well aware that this decision will cause immense disappointment and inconvenience to many. Further information will be shared in due course, the ECB further said in the statement.
As per various reports, ECB was willing to go ahead with the decided schedule after the RT-PCT test report of the Indian players came out to be negative but Indian players had their share of reservations. Ahead of the Manchester Test, the Indian support staff, assistant physiotherapist Yogesh Parmar, was also found to be Covid-19 positive.
Earlier, Indian players were part of a meeting where they were asked if they are okay with playing the fifth test to which most of them expressed their unwillingness for the same. The Indian Premier League is also resuming from September 19, which is also one of the reasons why players are being extremely careful about their health risks.