UPI123Pay was launched by RBI for feature phones
On Tuesday, the Governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI), Shaktikanta Das launched India’s famous UPI (Unified Payments Interface) service for feature phones. The service has been named UPI123Pay that would be enabling over 40 crore feature phone users in India to use the payment service on their device.
“UPI123Pay makes facilities under UPI accessible to that section of society which was so far excluded from the digital payment landscape,” RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das said at the launch. “This current decade will witness a transformative shift in the digital payments ecosystem in the country.”
Till now the UPI was only available on smartphones across India. But the latest development will be allowing feature phone users also to send and to receive payments through this service.
Furthermore, India’s central bank has also launched a 24×7 helpline for digital payments, which will be known as DigiSaathi.
- UPI123Pay is an easy and interactive three step process to initiate and execute digital payment services for feature phone users
- The service will allow the feature phone users to use almost all transactions except scan and pay
- A great feature of this service is that it doesn’t require any internet connection for transactions
- Customers are required to link their bank account with their feature phone to use this service
- They include “calling an IVR (interactive voice response) number, app functionality in feature phones, missed call-based approach and also proximity sound-based payments,” the RBI said
- These users can initiate payments to family and friends, pay utility bills through the service, recharge their vehicles’ FAST Tags, pay mobile bills and also check account balances
- This is a 24×7 helpline for digital payments, set up by NPCI (National Payments Corporation of India)
- The helpline will assist users with all queries related to digital payments via chatbot and website
- Users can visit www.digisaathi.info or call on 14431 and 1800 891 3333 from their phones for their digital payments related queries and grievances
“NPCI worked with all stakeholders and today we are ready to launch UPI123Pay for feature phones. UPI123Pay will digitally empower millions across the country and help NPCI achieve its dream of billion-plus daily UPI transactions,” Biswamohan Mahapatra, National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) Chairman said.