India administers record over 84 lakh vaccine doses as new policy kickstarts
In a significant boost to India’s ongoing efforts to combat the COVID-19 pandemic, the health sector on Monday administered more than 86 lakh vaccine doses across the country. This development came as the Centre initiated the revised guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination in India with the aim of intensifying vaccination of all eligible citizens.
According to a tweet issued by the Union Health Ministry on Tuesday, India administered 86.16 lakh COVID-19 vaccine doses in a single day, the “highest ever single-day vaccination achieved in the world so far”.
This has expanded the total number of vaccine doses administered by India since the launch of its immunisation drive in January to 28.87 crores.
Responding to the ‘record-breaking’ vaccination numbers, Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated all those who have received the vaccine against COVID-19. He further hailed the efforts of all frontlinerswho have working continuously to ensure that all eligible citizens are vaccinated against the disease.
“Today’s record-breaking vaccination numbers are gladdening. The vaccine remains our strongest weapon to fight COVID-19,” PM Modi tweeted.
The Health Ministry added that the sharp rise in recipients’ turnout waswitnessed due to the new phase of universalisation of COVID-19 vaccination which begun on Monday.
Under the revised vaccination policy, the Centre announced the immunisation of all adults above the age of 18 years across the country for free. The Centre stated that it will procure 75% of the vaccines from manufacturers from various states, leaving the remaining 25% to private players. It added that it will provide the procured vaccines to state governments to ensure free inoculation of all eligible age groups.
Earlier, the Centre was administering free vaccines to citizens aged 45 and above, while the state governments were responsible for procuring and inoculating citizens aged from 18-44 years.
“Within the population group of citizens more than 18 years of age, States/UTs may decide their own prioritization factoring in the vaccine supply schedule,” the revised guidelines noted.
States/UTs States started preparing their vaccine distribution plans lastmonth according to districts and COVID Vaccination Centre (CVC) in various regions. The ministry stated that proactive planning facilitated the boost in the administration of COVID-19 vaccines to eligible groups.
Earlier, the Prime Minister stated that the biggest beneficiary of the renewed vaccination programme must be the middle class, the poor, and the youth of the country.
Time and again, the Union government has urged citizens to get themselves vaccinated to strengthen the national fight against the pandemic crisis. As of now, the Indian health sector is administering three COVID-19 vaccines: SII’s Covishield, Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin, and Russia’s Sputnik V.