US deports Indian migrants on C-17 military aircraft after Trump’s crackdown

A US military plane has begun deporting migrants to India in line with US President Donald Trump’s crackdown on an estimated 11 million undocumented migrants in the country.
A C-17 aircraft carrying 205 Indian nationals departed from San Antonio, Texas, early Monday morning. As per reports, all Indians on board the flight were verified by the Indian government.
A US embassy spokesperson said the country was “vigorously enforcing its border, tightening immigration laws, and removing illegal migrants.”
“I have received a number of inquiries on reporting of a deportation flight to India. I can’t share any details on those inquiries, but I can share, on the record, that the United States is vigorously enforcing its border, tightening immigration laws, and removing illegal migrants. These actions send a clear message: illegal migration is not worth the risk,” the spokesperson said, as per reports.
The Pentagon has begun deporting more 5,000 immigrants detained in El Paso, Texas, and San Diego, California, through military planes. Earlier, the military aircraft transported migrants to Guatemala, Peru, and Honduras.

Previously, the Indian government expressed its willingness to cooperate with the Trump administration in repatriating its citizens residing illegally in the US to maintain robust ties and avoid any trade conflict.
“We are against illegal immigration, especially because it is linked to several forms of organised crime,” MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal had said last month. “For Indians not just in the United States, but anywhere in the world, if they are Indian nationals and they are overstaying, or they are in a particular country without proper documentation, we will take them back, provided documents are shared with us so that we can verify their nationality and that they are indeed Indians. If that happens to be the case, we will take things forward and facilitate their return to India,” he added.