Lockdown 3.0 announced on May 1,2020 included a foremost relaxation that the State Government can re-open the liquor shops that have been kept closed during the previous lockdowns. Most of the states such as Karnataka, Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Maharashtra re-opened their liquor shops on May 4,2020.
Re-opening of Liquor shops in Tamil Nadu
Later on the evening of May 4,2020 Tamil Nadu Government announced about re-opening the state running liquor shops called TASMAC, on May 7,2020. TN Govt also announced about the increase in excise duty for the liquor. The excise duty on Indian made and foreign liquor by 15% which means Rs 10 for normal brand and Rs 20 for premium brand per 180ml bottle.
Meanwhile Tamil Nadu Govt also announced about few regulations that have to followed for buying liquor;
- a person will be allowed to buy liquor only once in four days.
- a person who buys liquor should provide id proof and address proof such as electronic bill, name, address and Aadhaar number.
- a person who buys liquor by paying cash can purchase only one 750 ml bottle at a time
- a person who buys liquor by paying through online or any card transactions can purchase two 750 ml bottle.
The liquor sales will take place between 10am-5pm from Thursday(May 7,2020). TamilNadu Govt also regulated about the timing to purchase liquor by age classification;
- between 10am-1pm: people above 50 years of age,
- between 1pm-3pm: people between 40-50 years of age,
- between 3pm-5pm: people less than 40 years of age.
Liquor sales in Tamil Nadu
Every state on their first day(May 4,2020) of re-opening of liquor shops made liquor sales worth in crores. Karnataka made Rs 45 crore, Uttar Pradesh made Rs 100 crore, Telangana made Rs 90 crore and Andhra Pradesh about Rs 65 crore through sales of liquor. After all the numbers from other states of India, people was eyeing about the first day of liquor sales and the worth in make in Tamil Nadu.
Tamil Nadu had 3700 TASMAC shops open today and this may vary according to the effect of corona pandemic in the respective regions of the state. TASMAC shops were opened all over the state and not in state’s capital Chennai due to worse effect of corona pandemic. The total worth of liquor sales spin around Rs 170 crore according to the reports from Excise Dept of Tamil Nadu and that makes all-time highest of liquor sales during re-opening in Lockdown 3.0.
India is seeing an increasing use of the medicines like Favipiravir, along with another an…